Sunday, March 8, 2009

Chorva: Exposed

Posted by austenfan at 3/08/2009 12:08:00 AM
I can't remember when the word suddenly became a major part of my vocabulary. One day, a classmate started using it, and I, liking the sound of it, decided to give it a try. A few days later, everyone (from school, mostly) was using it too!

The funny thing about chorva is that it can mean anything. Really. Well, that's the case for me.

One of my frequent lines is "Ang chorva mo". (meaning the person is of a chorva-ic quality)

An outsider listening to this will be totally clueless as to what I'm talking about but, the chorva person (as I had tagged her) can either laugh or get indignant, depending on the situation. For me, chorva doesn't particularly mean anything. It can have a positive, negative, or neither-of-the-two effect. You can never fully understand what the speaker means by the word chorva if you don't know the speaker well enough. It's like certain bonds with our peers enable us to understand what they want to say even when it isn't said directly.

Another example:
Q: Anong ginagawa mo (What are you doing)?
A: Chorva

If they (Q & A) are friends, then Q can immediately guess what A meant by his answer. It could be that: a) A doesn't want to tell the other person what she's doing, or b) A's doing the usual thing she does, which Q knows (at least have a clue) about.

When you think about it, chorva seems to be a pretty insignificant word. However, these days, not a single day passes that me or one of my friends fail to use the word. And I'm not sure if that's good or bad. haha.

How about you? How would you define chorva? :D

3 comments:

Leoj on March 8, 2009 at 6:33 PM said...

ang chorva daw eh latin word.haha. di ko sure pero parang may narinig ako na ganun. haha.

austenfan on March 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM said...

talaga? kala ko galing lang sya sa chuva. hahahaha.

Leoj on March 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM said...

ah ewan ko. pero yung chuva nga ata yung latin. haha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Quintessential Babble Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by web hosting Vector by Artshare